"Mountain Travel and Rescue Level 2 is designed as a follow-up course to MTR F and/or MTR 1. This course provides more in-depth training and field work in land navigation, search and rescue, rope rescue, improvised toboggan construction, survival skills, and emergency shelter construction that students can utilize during the length of the course."
- The addition of another day and night spent consecutively in the field with further test the ability to live in backcountry conditions.
- GPS-based navigation skills will be introduced.
- The course will take place during winter weather conditions and will include practice of backcountry skiing skills, avalanche rescue, and climbing gear.
- The ropework extrication exercise will include a 6:1 mechanical advantage system (in addition to MTR1's 3:1 system).
- An on-your-own overnight in a snow shelter is required.
- An on-your-own emergency sled construction and extrication is required (and will also be practiced during the course).